Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Let's Talk about Compound English Adjectives (Part Three)

This is a very common and original way of adjectivizing phrases. In this case,all you have to do is hyphenate all the words in a phrase and use it before the noun you want to modify. For instance, if you want to say that a woman looked at you as though saying "I don't care what you think of me," you might as well say "she gave me an I-don't-care-what-you-think-of-me look."

As you can see, the use of phrasal adjectives is a complex feature of the English language that requires nothing but a bit of practice.

Altough I promise to keep on writing on phrasal adjectives or compund adjectives, I want to conclude by saying that there are many cases in which you will have to interpret the meaning of a compund adjective based on the construction patterns we have described. For example, an ill-intentioned invitation doesn't mean you are invited to visit someone who is sick, or does it?


Esta es una manera muy común y original de adjetivar grupos de palabras. En este caso, todo lo que tienes que hacer es insertar guiones entre todas las plabras de una frase y usarla delante del sustantivo que deseas modificar. Asì pues, si quieres decir que una mujer te miró como diciendo "No me importa lo que pienses de mí," también podrías decir "she gave me an I-don't care-what-you-think-of-me look."

Como puedes ver, el uso de adjetivos frasales es una característica compleja del idioma inglés que sólo requiere de un poquito de práctica.

Aunque prometo continuar escribiendo sobre adjetivos frasales o adjetivos compuestos, qiero concluir diciéndoles que existen muchos casos en los que tendrán que interpretar el significado de un adjetivo compuesto basándose en los patrones para su construcción que hemos descrito. Por ejemplo, an ill-intentioned invitation no siginifica que te estén invitando a visitar a alguien que está enfermo, ¿o sí?

3 comments:

  1. 1. In the highlands most of the people wear hand-made sweaters
    2. last month, my friend visited a dimly-lit disco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI TEACHER, I´M MARINA. AND THESE ARE MY EXAMPLES OF COMPOUND ADJECTIVES:
    A THIRTY-MINUTE-LATE FLY
    AN UGLY-MASKED MAN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi teacher.I am your student at ICPNA institute in this month.I am taking the advance 5 level course.After reading your english lesson in your blog,I feel very motivated to comment here.According to Compound adjective lesson, I have two examples:
    -The 15-year old girl got sick because of the influenza flue.

    -The boy sat in the high-backed chair.
    -

    ReplyDelete